In addition to national teacher programmes, CERN offers two international teacher programmes: The 3-week High School Teacher (HST) Programme and the International Teacher Weeks (ITW) Programme, which lasts 2 weeks. Both programmes are delivered entirely in English and are open for teachers from around the world. The goals of CERN’s international teacher programmes are:
- To support teachers’ professional development in the field of particle physics.
- To promote the teaching of particle physics in high schools.
- To facilitate the exchange of knowledge and experience among teachers of different nationalities.
- To stimulate activities related to the popularisation of physics within and beyond the classroom.
- To help CERN establish closer links with schools all around the world.
All applicants need to have a good working knowledge of the English language and need to be committed to attend the programmes in full. Furthermore, preference in the selection will go to teachers who have a proven experience of extra-curricular activities, such as:
- Organization of educational activities (science olympiads, summer courses for students)
- Contribution to the planning of national curricula
- Involvement in the activites of national and international educational bodies.
Select the respective programme to find out more about each programme, upcoming sessions, and how to apply. You can also access the programme agendas of previous international programmes and explore archived material.